Wednesday, December 12, 2007

C.O.P.S. 2

Monday, I received a call while I was at work. It was the personnel department of the city, telling me to report for my Police recruit physical 8:30am the next day. No real notice, no time for me to hit the gym back up. Oh well, after work, I went to Wal-Mart to get a sweatshirt and a scully hat, because I hate cold weather and I didn’t want to get sick. The rest of my day/night was normal. I ate some Wendy’s and went to sleep after talking on the phone to ******* for a few hours.

I got there early, but it didn’t really matter. Nothing started until way after 9am. Everyone else there received the same courteous 24 hour notice call. There were a lot of people there who had taken the test a few times already. A little more then 50 people arrived all together. Mostly men of course. Everyone seemed to be in good spirits, so I didn’t mind the wait.

There were four activities that I was going to have to complete.
30 sit-ups in a minute
300 meter in 75 seconds
70lb bench press (one time only)
1.5 miles in 15:56 minutes

So we started out with 52 or 53 people. I don’t remember which one. After the sit-ups the group was cut down to about 25 people. It wasn’t as hard as I thought it was going to be. Just the last two kinda had me shaking, but I was thinking about that benefits package and I pulled them out.
Then the sprint…longest 72 seconds of my life. There were only 2 people to fail that part. One dude got all belligerent, so after he was thrown out, they gave us an advisory speech. Explaining to the slower ones that they would still have to pass a psych eval, and that their behavior today could/would influence the final decision. The bench press was easy, but there were a few people that could not cut it. There were a couple that just didn’t follow instructions.

Oh well, so then it was time for me to do my mile and a half run. This is the thing I was dreading. I told y’all months ago that I would have a hard time with that.

Long story short, after standing outside in the cold for the first group of 8 to go. I didn’t make it. My time was 17 minutes and 20 seconds.


Oh well! I’m still really proud to have made it that far. And the good news is that I will be able to take the test again soon. Next time I’ll be ready, and I’ll also bring a stop watch of my own.


Peace

14 comments:

Miss Snarky Pants said...

"30 sit-ups in a minute" --- [shyt if I could deliver half that in triple the time, it's a good damn day.]

"300 meter in 75 seconds" --- [Yeah okay....just as long as ain't nobody bankin' on it]

"70lb bench press (one time only)" --- [Umm...who me???]

"1.5 miles in 15:56 minutes"--- [Da fugg I look like?!?!? A miracle maker or somethin'!!!!]

LOL

Guess it looks like it's gonna be me and my desk job for a looooonnnnnnggggg time cometh.

Sorry to hear you didn't pass Nic. Here's to your makin' it happen the next go round. ;-)

Nic said...

Thanks, ms.b
From what I gathered from the other people there, they're giving people like 2 weeks of downtime. I'm gonna need it too, cause I feel like I've been fighting 8 angry monkeys in a 4 x 4 cage over one banana.

<(^.^)>

A Beautifulstruggle said...

Good luck on the next try. My husband is applying again, unfortunately he did not pass the physc eval. But my son's godmother is proudly on her way.

*Tanyetta* said...

You're going to ACE it next time. You'll be more prepared and focused. I just know it :)

p.s. ditto what ms. behaving said. da hayle they specting people to do all that fo?

Kawana Aminata Oliver said...

You'll be straight!

Monie said...

= (
Sorry you didn't make it, hon.

Get your ass in the gym now so you can be prepared for next time.

GOOOOOOOOOO NIC!

anonymousnupe said...

What's foul is the fact that they didn't just yell out "15:50...15:51…" on up to 15:56 so you could just stop running wherever you were and go 'head and hit the showers, instead of making you finish the course even though you had already exceeded time! You sure you want to work for an outfit that gives one day's notice, starts late on the day of the event, and then withholds vital information from its potentials?

Those are very reasonable targets, mind you, but still!

And were there men who flunked out at the 70lb. lift?!

Anonymous said...

Next time you'll get it! Anonymousnupe is about to make me lose my job laughing about the countdown. LMAO I watched 9 episodes of Homicide Life on the Streets this past weekend. Awesome show. First time I've ever seen it. I'm having it sent to me through Netflix. Can't wait to hear your real live stories. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Nic,
I am glad you are doing well. I am also glad to know you arent giving up and that you intend to re-take the test...I miss you girl!

Chokkk

The Love Collective said...

Hey there. This is a cool blog you've got here. I'd love to be added to your blog roll.
http://boughettonews.blogspot.com/
Of course, I will reciprocate.

KIKI said...

You can do it Nic! I have no doubt I'll be seeing you on Cops n shyt in the near future.

Now get yo ass out there & start jogging DAILY, get your endurance up, and smoke dem fools on the next go round!

Rose said...

My first visit here but I know you can do it, heck you almost did! I guess giving you a pass wouldn't have been a good thing to do. You gotta be fit in this kind of job...

KIKI said...

Happy Holidays, Nic!

dc_speaks said...

heyyyyyyyyyy...sorry you didnt pass the first time.

miss ya, happy new year and all.

peace, lil lady!