Thursday, October 4, 2007

What Goes Around....




Antoine and I have been friends since my second year at college. That puts us ruffly around 2001. We have never been romantic, because I just don't like him like that. He has however made it known (a few times) that he is interested in me. We had a falling out a year and a half ago, because he could not comprehend the fact that I wasn't interested in starting a relationship. *If you've been reading this blog for a while than you can do the math. I was still messing around with my ex-boyfriend.* So anyway Antoine and I fell into the "a man and a woman can't be "friends" if their not screwing" category. We had a falling out where I cussed him out.......ROYALLY! and then we didn't speak for about a year. Well a few months ago, he reached out and apologized for the argument, and for not being understanding. I told him that I meant everything I said, and couldn't apologize for it. I was however willing to squash it, and that was cool enough for him. Not to sound vain or anything, but I guess he was just happy to be talking to me again.

So for the past few months we've been talking on the phone, going to movies, hanging out here and there. Nothing too serious, because I am not ready to be tied down just yet. He says that he will be patient. LOL! We'll see.

Since the car incident, I've been feeling kinda down. On Sunday (after they towed my car), he told me that he wanted to chill with me on Wednesday after work. I was happy to hear that, because I just wanted to get the whole thing off of my mind. Tuesday...while we were on the phone I asked him if we were still on for the following day. He says in a real apologetic tone that he can't, because he has to meet some lady about a job with Aflac, and that they would be going out to dinner after he gets off at his current job at 5pm.

Uhhhhhhhhh Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. So now we're corporate negotiators?

I said cool, and made other plans. Tuesday night, he calls me, sounding all pitiful, asking me if I could join him at this business dinner, because he was nervous or some sh!t.


Me: Ohhh, I'm sorry. When you cancelled on me I went on ahead and made other plans.

Him: (crickets chirping)

Me: Are you still there?

Him: Yeah.......just kinda.....(inaudible)

Me: Are you okay?

Him: I guess, I'm just kinda salty now. I was hoping I could see you, but I guess I messed up....There's no way huh?


Me: Well (laughing to myself), let me see if I can move some things around, okay? (without the slightest intention of doing any such thing.......I don't cancel on people unless there's a real emergency). I'll call you back in a minute.


So I hang up and get out of the rental, which I'm starting to like by the way, and head to my friends house. I tell the story and we laugh and sit down to watch "The Academy" at around 8:00pm. I leave her house at 10:00pm and call him after I take my sweet time to get into bed.



Me: Hey "A".... Did I wake you?

Him: No, what's up? (as happy as a puppy) Can I see you tomorrow?

Me: (insert fake sympathetic sigh) I'm sorry. I tried to move some things around, but....well I didn't want to cancel on them. I didn't want to be rude, you know. Maybe we can kick it another time.

Him: Okay.



We got off the phone after that. I slept pretty good. The next day he calls while I'm at work to ask how my day is going. I talk to him for a little while, the whole time maintaining my usual sugary sweet tone. With the work day over, I head home. Make it to my bed and try to catch a little sleep before I have to get up and dressed again. He calls at 5:15pm.



Him: Hey! How are you!

Me: (Sounding groggy, cause I was just falling asleep) Umm......I'm okay. How are you? Are you on your way to the restaurant?


Him: Man! I am so salty. You know I was going to meet the lady about my job, but my little sister called with an emergency, so I ended up rescheduling.

Me: Oh my g-d is she okay!?!?!?!?!?

Him: Yeah, remember I told you that she wanted me to buy her that phone? ( Awkward silence) Yeah, well anyway, she called me and asked me to meet her after work so I could go and get that with her.

Me: (silent)

Him: Are you still there?

Me: Yup.

Him: Oh, and the crazy thing is that after I cancelled with Aflac she (his sister) ended up telling me that she would just grab it another day.

Me: You cancelled an appointment about a higher paying job to get you sister, whom you see all the time, a phone? (thinking that either he has a really unhealthy relationship with his sister, or there was really no career negotiations to be had in the first place)

Him: (sounding a little defensive) Well, my relationship with my sis has been strained for a while, and I really want us to be cool. It may not be important to you or anyone else, but it's important to me.

Me: (with the sweetest and most patient voice you'd ever want to hear) Well "A", if it's important to you than that's all that really matters, right?

Him: Right. (calming down and sounding relieved) I just feel like an ass for canceling on two people. So....What are you doing?

Me: Just trying to get some rest before I go out.

Him: Oh, so you're still going out?

Me: Yep!

Him: Oh.....okay then. I guess I'll be able to find something to do.

Me: You always do.

Him: ............................... I'll let you go so you can get ready. Call me when you get in.

Me: (in my dismissive voice) Uh-huh,__________ goodnight Antione.

Him: Damn it's like that? Okay. Goodnight Nic.




I really wasn't that upset with him, I just wanted to teach him a lesson. My time is valuable, and I, just like a lot of other people on this earth don't like to be jerked around.

Peace .


12 comments:

dc_speaks said...

im first? yeahhhhhhhhhhh

well, aren't you the master trickster.

you punished him i see. well, i'll just say this. it sounds like he is already back into seein you as his girlfriend type figure without the label. I urge you to be very careful with the amount of time you spend and the activities that you do with dude.

after too much time, it could be a lil dangerous.

not trying to scare you, but it is possible.

just be careful and keep your intentions at the front of conversations.

i'd like to keep seeing(cyber seeing) your face for a long time!

Nic said...

Hey DC!!!!!

Yeah, I know what you mean. Guys are crazy now-days.
I always think about that poor girl that got raped, beat, strangled to death, dismembered, and bar-b-qued to ashes. Seems like guys are really playing for keeps. Good thing I never put the "Ooh-Wee" on him! LOL! Seriously though, was it me or was his whole story suspect?

I need to get one of those avatar doohickeys like you :)

Sheletha said...

Thats what he gets!

Im really tired of dudes right now in general.

Don said...

Nic, you're kinda cold there aint you babygirl...? I understand how we, as men, can be ... the entire time I read your post, I was thinking to myself, I wish he'd just hang up the phone in her face. I'm just being real.

Then again, at tiems, maybe we do deserve the attitude.

Sad thing about is - I like the challenge.

Trenting said...

Mmmm Hmm.. that's exactly what I'm talkin' 'bout Nic.. I was smilin' from the beginning of this post to the end..

Unknown said...

This post made me smile after an otherwise craptastic day.

You show 'em!

Nic said...

@ Sheletha,
I know what you mean, but I keep playing this game. I don’t know what I’m waiting for. Maybe, THEIR redemption through one good man. Maybe that’s an unreasonable expectation. Are there any dudes in Philly that know how to act right? What came first the chicken or the egg? Arghhhhh! Okay I’m better now that I got that off of my chest. LOL! ………………….... How you doin?


@ Don,
Hahahahaha! That would have been hilarious to me. I guess the player (or whatever) in him was trying to ensure that he had at least one date that night. Or maybe he was a little salty because I made plans so soon after. I have no idea what was going on in his head…..but he made me laugh, and that’s alright with me! LOL!


@ Trenting,
Glad I could give you a smile. I’m surprised the laughter in my heart didn’t spill out through my mouth, while I was talking to him on the phone, LOL!!!!!


@ Black mamba,
Aww, I’m glad I could give you a smile there. I hope this day is better than the last.

<(^.^)>

Woo woo woo.

Sheletha said...

They good ones are out there...I just don't know where.

coming from michigan everyone is saying "ooohhh you are going to find a nice southern gentleman when you get to NC"

first of all he has to find me. Second of all...I haven't found that to be the case thus far.

If they wanna hollah, I'll hollah, but Im not into playing games. Dont play me, play the lotto.

Nic said...

@ Sheletha,
"Dont play me, play the lotto" Hahahaha! I hope you don't mind, but I have to use that one.

Priceless!

Keelah said...

Girl! I'm respecting the game for real! I mean...come on now. He honestly expected that you would be waiting around for him to live his life...and when he has the time...Holla at Nic! Er...umm...Me thinks he got exactly what was deserved. Now he knows what time it really is. :)

Nic said...

@ Keelah,
Yeah girl, I can't believe him. And this is someone who I've known for a long time. I've told him enough stories bout my ex's ass-holish ways. He should have already known.

Miss Snarky Pants said...

Serves dat @ss right!!!
Shew...da he think this is??? ;-)