Thursday, April 19, 2007

I can't take a day off?


I’ve been with the same company for 3 & ½ years now. Became a site supervisor 2 years ago. For the most part, I love my job. But there are days when I feel like throwing a punch bowl on the floor, and screaming “damn, damn, damn!!!!!!!!”
I work from 6am – 3pm Monday through Friday. I have a nice set up, with a few nice perks. I don’t see my boss very often, since we are in different buildings, and I have an alright paycheck. Now for the negative side. I supervise a small team. They are all good people, but damnit if every single time I turn around they don’t “F” something up. Like the other day for instance, I decided not to come in till about 9:30am. Everything seemed fine until I called the main building to check on a few things. Before I was even able to ask my question I was told (in the most dramatic voice ever) to “hold-on” while they transfer my call to one of the other supervisors. This is when “Alpha Asshole” gets on the phone.

Note: Alpha Asshole confuses his job with a career. Has the tendency to speak down to people, and a superiority complex. But at heart I suspect he’s just a good guy with way too much time on his hands.

Alpha: Hey, where have you been?

Me: Yeah, I decided not to come in until 9:30 today, is everything okay?
Alpha: Who was in your office today?
Me: I had ****** filling in. Did something happen?
Alpha: Well, someone up there was setting off alarms. They were trying to gain access with an unauthorized badge & when I called, ****** had already let in the non employee.
Me: Well, what was the person’s name?
Alpha: He (******) didn’t know. What’s wrong with him? When I called up there he was really unprofessional. Really unprofessional! Does he know what he’s supposed to be doing?
Me: Yes, I don’t know what the problem was......Anyway….I apologize for him. I’ll speak to him AGAIN about proper procedure.
Alpha: (Silence)………. Alllllright.


I hate having to apologize for anything, & I'm still not sure if that fake ass apology was enough of a pacifier to keep him from snitching to our boss. I'm kinda' frustrated, because, I try my best to do a good job. I've trained this particular person over and over again... how many times can I train someone. I hate being blindsided, which is why I try to keep an open dialogue with my employees. I hope I don’t sound like “I think I’m the shit”. I know I won’t be getting the Philly Boss of the Year Award. I know that this is just a job, and we're not doing anything that is going to save the world. I just wish that ****** would have let me know what was going on.

You messed up? Fine. Just give me a heads up, and we’ll fix it together. Stop trying to make the situation disappear by ignoring it. I love my employees, but I can’t help them if they don’t let me know what’s going on.

I feel like a parent. With none of the cool benefits like “Naming rights”.



2 comments:

Miz JJ said...

I try not be too friendly with anyone working for me because when I need to be a bitch I do not want any hurt feelings. That sucks though that the other supervisor instead of having your back is trying to create drama.

Nic said...

@ Miz JJ,

Yeah, I might have to adjust my demeanor. It should be interesting to see how they react.