Thursday, May 3, 2007

O.D.D......Scared Childless!


I was talking to a friend of mine on Sunday. We spoke for a couple of hours, about life, family, money woes, the usual. We somehow ended up discussing the problems of her cousin. This cousin has had a troubled life. She was never living on the street or anything like that, but she’s had a few bumps that left her pretty depressed. Recently though, she made a move in what we thought would be the right direction. She met and married a man in the military. He got them housing on a base in Hawaii, and together they had a baby boy. That makes three children for her. Things seemed to be moving in the right direction for her, but now her two oldest children are exhibiting some problematic traits.

My friend was reciting a list of what the kids had been diagnosed with so far, saying that some of the problems might be connected to the fact that the husband was back from Iraq, with Post Traumatic Stress syndrome. The eldest (he’s 10) suffers from severe depression, and has had suicidal thoughts. I was heartbroken to hear about that, because he had always been such a sweet boy. The middle child (I think she’s 6) has A.D.H.D., O.D.D., and a bunch of other stuff.
Now when I write “a bunch of other stuff” I don’t want to come off as uncaring, it’s just that after my friend said “O.D.D.” I didn’t hear anything else. “Wait, what’s O.D.D.?” I asked. “Oh, that stands for Oppositional Defiant Disorder” she said. Well…where the hell have I been? I’d never heard of that s***. She went on to explain that the little girl basically does the opposite of everything she’s been told.Wait I know about A.D.D. & A.D.H.D., but O.D.D.????? Am I the last person to hear about this? Where was the public service announcement?
Anyway, she told me a story that scared the shit out of me. About a year ago. The little girl dragged her baby brother down the steps by his feet. His mouth hit every step. Her reason for this…..She was told to stop bothering her baby brother. Yep that's it...He didn't do anything to her...Neither parent had screamed at her earlier that day.... The little girl just went bizzerk. I swear I felt my ovaries shrivel up a little after hearing that story. Is it wrong to be a lil' happy bout’ the fact that subconscious Nic hit the snooze button on her biological clock?

When I got a chance I looked up O.D.D. on the computer.

The only definition I could find for O.D.D. said, “Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD) is a behavioral disorder that is characterized by aggressive, defiant, negative, irritable and annoying behaviors towards peers and authority figures, such as parents and teachers.”

Just looking at this definition is pushing me towards an anxiety attack. Things are getting out of control. It seems like every time I turn around a new behavioral disorder is springing up. Where are they coming from? I need answers people. I can't keep blaming things on MacDonald's' hormone packed food!

13 comments:

JustMeWriting said...

ok...I look forward to reading your post because they have me cracking up, but this isn't funny.

You hit the nail on the head with...'every time I turn around a new behavioral disorder is springing up. Where are they coming from? Well in my oppinion they're coming from the government...science...the powers that be. Why is it that children have been doing the SAME things for as long as we can remember and EVENTUALLY they grow out of most behaviors, but NOW there's a NAME and TREATMENT for it...BULLS#$%, excuse my eloquent frence, but I'm soooooo sick of this crap, they're poisoning children and the parents are letting them,(all of which I plan of presenting next week sometime on part 2 of Good Mommy, Bad Mommy). These situations are SOOO involved it's crazy, but there's an answer...and it's called paying attention to your kids.

I'm going to leave this alone for now, because I've got a lil stomache ache...and don't have the energy to do this right, so next week...this parenting this is ON.

Dag girl...all I wanted to do is laugh...lol...you owe me BIG TIME...LOL.

Shai said...

O.D.D.=Odd behavior. Not to down play the child's problems, I wonder if we are labeling behaviors with medical terms too quickly. If a child is hyper than they have ADHD. I question diagnoses.

I feel for the children. Is the mother looking at her ENTIRE life to evaluate when and why the kids are acting out?

Nic said...

@ JMW...Hey girl,
Sorry I wasn't able to pull any laughs out. But seriously I've been scared to come out of my house since I heard about this O.D.D. epidemic. lol!
Don't give up on my blog yet. Knowing me and my luck, I will be going through some drama soon, and then I’ll have something ridiculous to share with everyone.
In closing, I would like to say thank you for shedding some light on these new disorders. Damn the government WILL do anything to make a buck. In closing, I hope that you feel better soon :)

Peace

Nic said...

@ Shai,

Hey, from what I remember of her she is a nice person who had a f***ed up childhood. She makes a lot of bad decisions, but I guess that can be traced back to her childhood/lack of parental guidance. I don’t know if she is looking towards herself for some answers, but I’m thinking that she probably should. Right now however, she is taking them to a psychologist/therapist to try to fix the problem. I get the impression that she doesn’t feel equipped to handle all of this. She's kinda' fragile. The whole household seems like a ticking time bomb to me. I really hope that they figure things out before anything worse happens.

Peace

Sugar said...

Why don't they just fool the kid with the ODD by telling her to do the opposite of what they really want her to do. You know, like, "Drag your brother down those steps right now!!" or "I want you to knock him upside his head as hard as you can or I'm gonna cut your butt!" I'm being a little silly, but you get the point.

I agree with justmewriting and Shai as well. There's something in those vaccines they've been pumping us all with and there is a rush to "diagnose" (translation: Make it easier for the drug companies to sell those meds.)

I hope everything will work out for your friend's cousin.

dc_speaks said...

wow...I was just passing by some of JMW's links and stumbled upon yours.

this is an excellent blog in terms of the information shared. I feel for the children and the parents. I do however have my doubts abot all the acronyms made up by the medical field to describe what we already know. kids do what kids do. the end result of all that talking was that it was ODD? when the hell did that ever have a name?

I'm sorry but it sickens me to see how modern medicine operates. I much prefer holistic treatments and church/prayer

Nic said...

@ Suga,
I know I shouldn’t laugh, but you are silly :) "Drag your brother down those steps right now!!"….. Ha! Remember when you were a kid and people tried to make you play games like “Who can be quiet the longest”?... Might have just been me… lol! Thanks for the well wishes .

@ DC,
Hey thanks for stopping in. Yeah, the consensus here seems to be that children are being taken advantage of. These pharmaceutical firms are more concerned with getting a dollar then curing people, and that is so scary. For every 1 vaccine, two new disorders are springing up. Coincidence???

Peace

dc_speaks said...

i enjoyed your post so you are now part of the links on my blog.

hope this helps get the word out more for you.

Sugar said...

Hey! That reverse psychology works from time to time and you know I remember, "let's see who can be quiet the longest." lol

Nic said...

@ DC, now you're "In Me Power ....... Muahahahah!!!!!!" Just kidding thanks for the link. Check out my list :)

dc_speaks said...

YAYYYY..THANKS!


in your power? hahahahaha

Sheletha said...

I would be in somebodys jail.

O.D.D will cause a big ass whoopin until I got tired.

Nic said...

@ sheletha,

Thanks, that gave me my first laugh all day!